This one totally slipped by me, I knew it was coming but with my recent travel I completely forgot it was this soon. I really loved the TV show, and all the press thus far made the game look pretty interesting so I am definitely looking forward to giving the game a spin soon! So what will you do, create your own crab boat, or just use one based on the boats on the show? I am uploading some recent screen shots as well, but while you wait for them,
click through to read the full official press release to get more details on the game!
SEATTLE, WA. (June 17, 2008) – Now millions of fans of Discovery Channel’s highest rated and Emmy®-nominated series DEADLIEST CATCH can hunt for elusive King and Opilio Crab in the challenging new Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm video game. The Xbox 360® version of the game is available now at major retailers, with the PC version coming soon.
Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm was inspired by Sig, Edgar and Norman Hansen – three brothers who have made their living crab fishing on the Bering Sea aboard their family’s fishing vessel, the Northwestern. The Hansen brothers started game development with Liquid Dragon Studios in October 2005.
Authenticity and realism were critical to the Hansen brothers. They invited key development team members to Dutch Harbor, Alaska to personally experience life on the Northwestern. The game’s realism is enhanced with four real Bering Sea harbors and 34,000 miles of real Alaskan coastline created from the United States Geological Survey. In addition, Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm is the first video game to feature United States Coast Guard vessels and helicopters.
With waves over 40 feet high, Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm features the best wave effects in a video game to date. In the words of Captain Sig Hansen, “It may not be life or death, but chills went up my spine the first time I saw the Northwestern sink in the game.”
Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm lets gamers captain their own boat in the frenzied search for King and Opilio crab. Gamers select one of five real crab boats, including the Northwestern, Cornelia Marie and Sea Star – all featured on the series, or create and customize their own boat. Gamers then recruit and manage their own crew from a roster of twenty real crab fishermen. Selecting the wrong boat or recruiting the wrong crew member can mean the difference between landing a Bering Sea jackpot or disaster. The ultimate goal is to return safely each season, upgrade your boat and crew, and attempt to break Captain Sig Hansen and the Northwestern crew’s actual lifetime catch of twenty million pounds.
· Career Mode (Extremely realistic and challenging simulation for gamers and Deadliest Catch fans
· Missions (Includes United States Coast Guard missions, ice flow navigation)
· Mini-Games (Allows casual gamers to enjoy fun crab boat challenges, including crab boat races and skiff races)
· Five Authentic Crab Boats (including Northwestern and Cornelia Marie)
· Customize Your Own Boat
· 20 Real Fishermen (including Edgar and Norman Hansen, Josh and Jake Harris)
· Five Authentic Captains (including Captains Sig Hansen, Phil Harris and Larry Hendricks)
· 4,500 lines of recorded character dialogue
· 1st Time United States Coast Guard in Video Game
· Captain the 370ft. USCG Cutter Mellon
· Throw-the-Hook Mini-Game
· Skiff Racing Mini-Game
· 34,000 Miles Actual Coastline
· Four real Bering Sea harbors (Akutan, Dutch Harbor, King Cove and St. Paul)
· Virtual tour of the Northwestern crab boat
· 100 exclusive crew videos
· Xbox Live multiplayer for up to eight players
Whether a die-hard fan or someone who has never seen the Discovery Channel series, Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm is an immersive and challenging experience, putting them at the helm of one the world’s most dangerous jobs– that of a crab boat captain in the icy Bering Sea.1 comment